Excuses are awesome, aren’t they? Let’s go some of the most common excuses we all find to ignore even the smallest of physical exercise, which can turn into massive benefits over time:
1. No time
2. No gym
3. No knowledge
4. No money
5. No need
That last one is kind of scary, but that’s basically what people are saying, right? “I don’t need to take care of my body.” And that’s totally okay, if you want to make that choice. That’s a choice that is going to come with some consequences, you know. But if you are interested in making a better choice, and discover the best full-body exercise that destroys every one of those excuses, read on.
Meet the burpee+, Your new best friend
Most people are familiar with the burpee from high school gym class. We should never have stopped doing it. We were onto something! The burpee is fantastic example of the “train movements over muscles” principle. Jumping, dropping, extending, pushing, contracting, standing. Doesn’t sound so hard until you do like… one of them.
Examples of a regular burpee
1. Jump as high as you can while standing straight up.
2. Squat down and pause in a compressed position.
3. Launch your body outward into a push-up ready position.
4. Complete a pushup slowly and effectively.
5. Compress back in and launch up into a jump to start your next rep.
With the burpee+, we’re going to start adding in even more movements to build the best full-body exercise in the game. Here are the additional changes you should start making to the burpee to hit and train even more movements:
1. Instead of simply jumping, do a alternating jumping lunge.
2. As you drop down into pushup position, hold a 15 second challenging plank (One-arm, one-leg)
3. Practice different pushup movements
4. Integrate in a set mountain climbers before returning to contracted position
5. As you return to standing, reach above to a pull-up bar and perform a rep. (Only change that needs equipment)
You don’t have to adopt any of these changes if you don’t want to, just stick with plain ole’ burpee.
Why the burpee+ blows past all your excuses
No gym, no advanced fitness knowledge, no monthly fees, no necessary equipment, and no more than a few minutes in the morning. And as far as no need? If you can’t do more than 10 of these in a row, there is absolutely a need. You need to be strong, flexible, competent, and able to control and move your body. That’s not something you should budge on.
How to start training with the burpee+ to make it stick
30 burpees a day keeps the doctor away. But don’t you dare start there, because you’ll quit! So instead, let’s Kaizen this thing.
1. One burpee today. Ten seconds of your life. Can you give that towards your health?
2. One more burpee the next day. Twenty seconds. 100% progress. Now you’re building a skill.
3. Three burpees on day three. Heart started pumping a little bit, didn’t it?
4. Just keep going until you hit 30. Stay at 30 for the rest of your life. Be happy.
Before you go, leave a comment and commit to the 30 day burpee challenge!
THE BASE CAMP JOURNAL MAKES FAILURE IMPOSSIBLE:
There was no such thing as a “workout” when you were a kid; there was only endless playing. What if we could rediscover our sense of play by using a fun fitness game?
Even the strongest of us can get overwhelmed with life’s sporadic emergencies, stress, and triggers. You need an immediate boost to get yourself back on track.
Stop doing what everyone else does. The sequel to our first list of 15 unusual and creative habits, here are 15 more that you can start today for a better life.